Complaints about a Councillor

Council Model Code of Conduct

The Local Government (Model Code of Conduct) Regulations 2021 took effect on 3 February 2021. The Model Code of Conduct is taken to be the adopted Councillor Code of Conduct for the Shire of Augusta Margaret River from 3 February 2021. It provides clear guidelines for an acceptable standard of ethical and responsible conduct. It focuses on ethical responsibility and encourages greater transparency and accountability.

Serious and minor complaints:

Local Government (Official Conduct) Amendment Act 2007

The Local Government (Official Conduct) Amendment Act 2007 became operational in October 2007. This new legislation focuses on providing avenues for dealing with allegations specifically concerning councillor misconduct. Importantly, this legislation does not deal with complaints against local government staff members.

The legislation provides for the referral of “minor offences” to a three member Standards Panel or, in the case of “serious offences”, referral, through the Department of Local Government, to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT).

Therefore it is important to note that “minor complaints” must be made on the approved form and submitted to the Shire of Augusta Margaret River.

The Shire's contact for information on serious breach complaint matters is:

Contact Chief Executive Officer Stephanie Addison-Brown
Phone 08 9780 5200
Email [email protected]

Local Government Standards Panel

The Local Government Standards Panel was established in 2007 with the announcement of the Local Government (Official Conduct Act) Amendment Act 2007 to fulfil two key objectives:

  • To administer justice and resolve complaints relatively quickly, and
  • To provide the local government sector with guidance and benchmarks on what are acceptable standards of behaviour.

A minor breach complaint to the Panel is to be made on the approved forms which can be downloaded below. The complaint must be made within two years after the alleged breach has occurred. The completed complaint form must be sent to the complaints officer of the relevant local government.  The Department of Local Government website provides further information.

Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Tues, Wed, Thurs
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.