Native wildlife

In Western Australia, a licence is required to keep reptiles and amphibians as pets. This measure is in place to ensure such animals receive the specialised care they require.

For all native animal enquiries and issues, including kangaroos,  it is advised that you contact Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPAW).  They will assist you with any enquiries you may have.  Visit the Department of Parks and Wildlife website for further information.

Wildcare Helpline

The Wildcare Helpline is a 24 hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week telephone referral service. The helpline is operated by volunteers on behalf of DPaW and is based at DPaW’s operational headquarters at Kensington.

The Helpline provides a service for members of the public who find sick, injured or orphaned native wildlife and are seeking advice on how to find care for the animal.  The wildlife volunteers manning this phone will be able to put you in touch with the registered wildlife rehabilitator nearest to you, wherever you are in Western Australia.

Phone 08 9474 9055

Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Tues, Wed, Thurs
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.