Community resilience resources

When a local tragedy occurs, the effect on those touched by it, families, friends, communities is immediate and traumatic. The impact on a small community can ripple for years. Please see below for resources that may assist at this time.

Helping yourself after a traumatic event

Looking after yourself after a crisis - Australian Red Cross

Typical reactions to a disaster - Australian Red Cross

Helping yourself after a traumatic event - Centre for Post Traumatic Mental Health

Helping children after a traumatic event

Tips for talking with Kids - Australian Red Cross

Helping children and young people cope with crisis - Australian Red Cross

Guidelines for parents, caregivers and teachers - Australian Psychological Society

Trauma and children - Centre for Post Traumatic Mental Health

Helping friends/family after a traumatic event

Helping a friend or family member after a traumatic event - Centre for Post Traumatic Mental Health

Local support contacts

Community support contact information

Individuals registered with Disability Services can contact their local coordinator directly on 08 6167 7900.


Free education sessions are being hosted by Angelhands Inc. They specialise in helping people and communities recover from extreme trauma. Click here for more information.

Community Support Centre

The temporary support services at the Margaret River Community Centre will cease from 4pm Friday 1 June. Please click here for further information.

Further information

Australian Red Cross

Centre for Post Traumatic Mental Health

Waratah - Support for Domestic Violence

Angel Hands - Support for extreme trauma


Community Newsletter

Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter for updates regarding events, changes and general happenings within your community.

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Monday to Friday
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.