Local government elections play an important role in our democratic system and are an excellent opportunity for people to contribute to, and be involved in their local community. Electors are encouraged to nominate to be a councillor in their local government elections. Any eligible elector can stand for council. Councillors are elected for terms of four years in Western Australia. Elections are held every two years for half of the council, and candidates are elected using the first-past-the-post voting system. If a vacancy occurs within a term, an extraordinary election is held.

The next local government ordinary election will be held on Saturday 16 October 2021.

Term expires October 2021 - 

Ian Earl
Julia Meldrum
Pauline McLeod
Naomi Godden

Term expires October 2023 - 

Brian Daniel
Kylie Kennaugh
Paula Cristoffanini

Please see Your Councillors page.

Local Government Elections

I'm interested in becoming a Councillor

Please view our Becoming a Councillor page.

Where is the Polling Place

The polling place on the day of voting is the Margaret River Civic Administration Centre (MRCAC) and is open from 8am to 6pm.  For voting enquiries prior to the election day, please visit Margaret River Customer Services between office hours Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm or contact the Western Australian Electrol Commission (WAEC) on 13 63 06 .

How do I check my enrolment or enrol

Individuals registered with the WAEC for a property you occupy in the Shire are automatically entitled to vote in the Local Government elections and a voting package will be posted to you.

Non-resident owners or occupiers of rateable property within the electorate are entitled to vote and are encouraged to register.  Please complete and lodge an Enrolment Eligibility Claim Form by close of roll date Friday 27 August 2021. 

For more information see WAEC webpages Online Enrolment Check and Enrol

How do I vote

Voting in a local government election is not compulsory in Western Australia. However, all electors are strongly encouraged to vote.

There are two types of local government elections - postal elections and voting in person elections. At a postal election, electors are sent an election package which includes the ballot papers and may then vote at home and post the completed papers. At a voting in person election, electors may vote early or by post but most choose to vote in person on election day at a polling place within the district.  

Issue of voting packages

The WAEC will post voting packages to all voters from the Shire's Residents Roll. Packages will be mailed approximately 3 weeks prior to the election day by Australia Post.

I haven’t received my postal voting package

Replacement or Provisional voting packages are available on application. Please visit Margaret River Customer Services.

When will I know the results of the election?

The election is conducted by the Electoral Commissioner. The count of votes commences at 6pm at the Margaret River Council Chambers, 41 Wallcliffe Rd and the public are invited to attend. Election results will usually be declared by the Commission on the night of the election.

Who votes for the Shire President?

The Shire President of the Council is elected by the Councillors from amongst themselves at a Special Meeting following the election. 

Past election results

Election Results for the Shire of Augusta Margaret River elections since May 1999 may be viewed on WAEC's website.

More information

For further information, please contact the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06.

Information on Council elections can also be found on Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries's website.

Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Tues, Wed, Thurs
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.