Media releases

Owners wishing to use their properties for short stay accommodation are reminded to first obtain planning approval from the Shire of Augusta Margaret River.
Shire Chief Executive Officer, Stephanie Addison-Brown said the increase in community members listing their properties for short stay accommodation has been a hot topic not only locally, but across Australia and around the world.
“Digital technology is making it much easier for people to list their properties for short-term rent, however Shire approval is still needed.
“Renting out your house, or even rooms within your house in a bed and breakfast manner needs approval.
“The Shire has particular controls around this type of land use, in order to maintain the affordability and availability of housing, and to preserve amenity for our permanent residents,” she said.
Ms Addison-Brown said approvals were typically granted for a limited period and required renewal to remain approved.
“To help ensure the short stay rentals being advertised are authorised, the Shire periodically checks online listings against its register of approved rentals.
“So please get in touch with our planning team if you think your approval may have expired, or if you are thinking of listing your property for short stay accommodation,” she said.
The penalties for operating a short stay house or rooms without approval can be significant and the Shire would like to remind everyone of the need to obtain prior approval. 
To obtain an approval for short stay accommodation, visit the Shire’s website
Alternatively contact the Shire directly for further information at or by calling Planning Services on 9780 5220.

Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Monday to Friday
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.