When you require a permit

Anyone undertaking a commercial activity on any Shire reserve, needs to apply for a Permit to be issued under the Shire’s Activities in Thoroughfares and Public Places and Trading Local Law 2020 or Local Government Property Local Law 2013.

Activities requiring a permit may include:

  • Personal training and exercise classes
  • Dog obedience classes
  • Surfing schools
  • Operating bouncy castles and pony rides for children’s parties
  • Alfresco dining
  • Street trading and charity fundraising activities.

Any activity that to some extent prevents the publics normal access or enjoyment of that land.

It is important the Shire is aware of who is operating activities on Shire property to assist in managing competing uses and scheduling maintenance of reserves and assets.

Insurance requirements

Permit holders will be required to indemnify the Shire and obtain public liability insurance of at least $20,000,000 in respect of any liability arising from the permit holder’s use/activity.

Planning approval

In some cases a Planning Approval may be required under the Shire’s Town Planning Scheme, if this is the case a development application must be lodged before your permit application can be reviewed.

Street activation

To encourage a vibrant and interactive town site the Shire has adopted a policy to encourage the activation of Bussell Hwy in the Margaret River town centre. If certain requirements are met there is no longer a need to apply for Development Approval. This simplifies the approvals process for businesses who meet the required criteria.

To apply, lodge the Street Trading/Activation Application or Alfresco Dining Applications along with a site plan that notes the dimensions of proposed activity including distances from kerb and buildings. Include any other information such as details of furniture.

Share this page

Back to Top of the page