The Prohibited Burning Period for the Shire has been extended further and will now apply until midnight, Tuesday 30 April 2024. No fires can be lit in the open air. More information here.

The Shire of Augusta Margaret River is a popular location for commercial filming activity. A written approval (letter of authorisation) is required.

Types of commercial filming

Commercial filming includes, but is not limited to:

  • Educational programs (documentaries)
  • Tourism promotion
  • Advertising (TV and print)
  • Free to air TV or online series content
  • Feature films.

Application for commercial filming on Shire land

To apply, please complete the form below, 14 days prior to film date.

The following should also be included with your application form:

  • Insurance certificate of currency (minimum value $20 million)
  • A map or plan of areas intended for use.

Please note: If you are planning a larger scale production that may impact traffic or public spaces, please contact the Shire at least 6 weeks prior to your onsite date, to determine if additional information or onsite requirements are needed.

Contact the Shire’s Events and Permit Officer for assistance with your application or advice regarding filming locations.

Areas that require approval from other authorities

If you are planning on filming on land managed by Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Attractions (DBCA), including areas such as Hamlin Bay and Boranup Forest, you will need to lodge your application with DBCA.

Rivermouth Beach, Surfers Point and the Margaret River are within registered sites under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1973. Filming from these locations will require you to contact the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage for approval.

Lighthouses and caves are managed by Margaret River Busselton Tourism Association.

The Shire does not support filming within the vicinity of Wallcliffe Cliffs, due to the cultural significance of this area.


If you are using a drone for filming purposes you will be required to comply with Civil Aviation Safety Authority legislation.

Please provide details within your application to film and supply operator registration details and insurance.

For more information about drone rules on the CASA website.

More information and contact

For more information please submit the enquiry form below.

Share this page

Back to Top of the page