Private event approvals

General information

The use of Shire owned halls and reserves for private functions and activities may require a permit under the Shire's Local Laws. Private events that may require a permit include weddings and ceremonies or club functions.


Events at Shire halls

If your event is to be contained entirely within a hall vested with the Shire, for example the Cultural Centre, there may be no requirement for an event permit, however a permit is required if alcohol is to be consumed or sold.

If you wish to apply to consume and/or sell alcohol from a Shire facility or reserve, please complete and submit an Application for a permit to consume alcohol.


Events on Shire parks, reserves and foreshores

A private event on a Shire park, reserve or foreshore may include such activities as:

  • Ceremonies
  • Club rally or march

If you wish to hold an event within the Shire it is necessary to obtain the relevant permits and approvals.

Please contact Events Officer on 08 9780 5266 to request an application package relevant to your event.


Weddings and private ceremonies

If you wish to hold your wedding or other private ceremony on one of Shire’s reserves, parks or foreshores, a permit is required. The Weddings and private ceremonies application package provides all the information you require.

For assistance regarding your application please contact Events Officer on 9780 5266.

If you a planning a ceremony at Hamlin Bay, Redgate Beach or Boranup Forest please contact Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions,  Parks and Wildlife Service on 9752 5555 to discuss your application.


Further information

Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Tues, Wed, Thurs
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.