Find out about financial assistance from the Shire, by way of a waiver of fees and charges, including eligibility and how to apply.
About the waiver
The Shire offers financial assistance to community-based, incorporated, not-for-profit organisations and educational institutions operating in the Shire, by way of a waiver of fees and charges.
Under the Local Government Act 1995, the Shire can:
- Waive an amount of money owed to the Shire – excluding rates and services charges
- Grant a concession in relation to money which is owned to the Shire - excluding rates and services charges
- Write off an amount of money which is owed to the Shire.
The Shire will consider fee waivers up to a maximum of 50% of the total fee/charge.
Note: The Shire may at its discretion determine to waive 100% of the fees and charges, based on the merit of the application.
Applications are accepted at any time during the year.
To be eligible for a waiver of fees and charges, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
Be a community-based incorporated, not-for-profit organisation operating in the Shire of Augusta Margaret River
Be an educational institution.
- Fees and charges listed on the annual Schedule of Fees and Charges adopted by Council
- National celebrations, state or federal functions and visits by Parliamentarians to the Shire
- The Shire may, at its own discretion determine an individual application on its merits.
- Where a fee or charge is due to the Shire under another Act, regulatory body or Australian Law in respect of a service (except for some planning fees for not for profit organisations)
- Individual persons
- State or federal government bodies
- Commercial organisations or businesses
- Activities that will financially benefit the community organisation (ie. entry charge)
- Activities that are already covered by an existing agreement with the Shire unless submitted and approved as part of a grant application process
- Activities, events, competitions, projects or celebrations outside the Shire’s local government boundaries (except where they are co-sponsored or partnered by the Shire)
- Reimbursement for utility charges such as water and electricity
- Recurrent annual or seasonal fees for sporting groups such as the sporting club levy, court hire and line marking
- Retrospective applications for activities, events, competitions, projects or celebrations
- Applications that are not submitted on the Shire’s official application form may not be eligible for funding
- If circumstances surrounding a successful applicant change during the financial year, the Shire reserves the right to review and cancel any or all the approved financial assistance.
How to apply
Complete the application form below.
The application form can be provided in hard copy if required.
You can submit the application form:
- By email to [email protected]
- By post to Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Augusta Margaret River, PO Box 61, Margaret River WA 6285
Electronic copies are preferred, although hard copy applications will be accepted.
Processing of application
Your application will be reviewed in line with the guidelines outlined.
All applicants will receive an email notifying them of the outcome of their application.
If approved, a tax invoice for the balance of the fee/charge less the approved waiver will be issued to the applicant for payment.
More information and contact
If you require any further information or assistance with your application form, please contact the Shire on (08) 9780 5638 or email [email protected]