Public event approvals

Event approval

The Shire supports a variety of major events which bring visitation to the area and represent value for the ratepayer’s dollar. Community events are also valued as they contribute to our vibrant and thriving community. The Shire's role is to ensure events comply with all the relevant legislation and are safe, successful and inclusive for the community and vistors to enjoy.  

Organisers of proposed events are advised to contact the Shire's Events Officer to discuss thier event to determine the relevant permit and approval requirements. An event specific application package detailing information to be supplied will then be forwarded..

When reviewing event proposals and applications the Shire considers the likely impact on residents and the wider community, taking into account noise or nuisance, alcohol consumption, number of patrons and any additional factors.  When assessing proposed events the Shire is guided by a range of legislation, regulations and policies.

Applications should be submitted well in advance of the event date,  large events a minimum of 3 months prior to the event, smaller scale events a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the event. Early applications are appreciated and encouraged.

Factsheet: Event application requirements and advice provides information on the event application process and requirements.


Types of events

Public events on private land

A public event on private property may include:

  • Fetes, fairs, circuses and community festivals
  • Concerts and balls
  • Markets
  • Promotional activities such as product launches
  • Film screenings

If you wish to hold a public event on private property within the Shire it is necessary to obtain the relevant permits and approvals.

Events at Shire halls

If your event is to be contained entirely within a hall vested with the Shire, for example the Cultural Centre, there may be no requirement for an event permit, although a permit is required if alcohol is to be consumed or sold.

If you wish to apply to consume and/or sell alcohol from a Shire facility or reserve, please complete and submit an Application for permit to consume alcohol. 

Should your event include traders and or market stalls a  permit unders Shire's Local Laws is required.

Events at Shire parks, reserves and foreshores

An event on a Shire park, reserve or foreshore may include such activities as:

  • Fetes, fairs, circuses and community festivals
  • Public rallies and marches
  • Concerts

If you wish to hold an event within the Shire it is necessary to obtain the relevant permits and approvals.

Events on roads and traffic management

Applicants who wish to hold events on roads must address traffic management and safety issues.

In most cases, a Traffic Management Plan will be required which must then be approved by Local Government, Police and Main Roads if appropriate.

Water based events

Water-based events include such activities as:

  • Surfing competitions
  • Boat races
  • Swimming competitions
  • Organised surfing, boating or swimming events that are participatory rather than competitive

If you wish to hold a water-based event within the Shire it is necessary to obtain the relevant permits and approvals.

To discuss your event and request an application package please contact Events Officer, Catherine Gardiner on 9780 5266.

Further information

Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Tues, Wed, Thurs
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.