Find out about financial assistance from the Shire, by way of a waiver of fees and charges, including eligibility and how to apply.
About the loan
Interest free loans up to a maximum of $20,000 are available to incorporated community-based volunteer and not-for-profit organisations functioning within the Shire, who have a current property lease agreement with the Shire.
The balance of the Community Loan reserve and Council’s approval will determine whether funding is provided in a financial year.
Individual applications up to $20,000 excluding GST will be considered. However, larger amounts may be considered at Council’s discretion and based on the merits of the proposal.
Applications are accepted at any time during the year.
To be eligible for an Interest Free Loan the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a community organisation that has a current property lease agreement with the Shire
- Be an incorporated community-based volunteer and not-for-profit organisation functioning in the Shire that makes membership available to the general community.
What will be considered for funding
- The establishment of new facilities, preferably multi-purpose to allow for community organisations to expand their operations and or services which as a result will have significant benefits to the community and its members
- Capital improvements to Shire facilities open and used for attendance by the local community which encourage participation i.e. sporting associations or clubs
- Projects for permanent improvements or items considered to be fixed to a structure erected on Council owned or controlled land.
- Structural renovations or improvements of a fixed nature.
What won’t be considered for funding
- Improvements to Shire facilities that are not capital in nature
- General maintenance, minor repairs or small moveable items
- Purchase of plant.
- The location of the facility shall be on land owned by or vested within the Shire’s local government boundaries.
- Applicants are required to have made an application for funding for the project from other funding sources to the satisfaction of Council. In relation to this application, the Council may commit to provide a certain level of funding providing the project proceeds. The rationale for this is to maximise funding received from the other funding sources.
- Applications will require at least dollar for dollar funding from the applicant or from a grant funding source.
- Community organisations are to demonstrate a financial capacity to service loan repayments and will be required to provide the following documentation as part of the application:
- A copy of the Certificate of Incorporation issued by the Department of Fair Trading and evidence of that the organisation is registered for an Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Audited (or independently verified by a Certified Practicing Accountant or Chartered Accountant) annual income and expenditure statements for the past two (2) years.
Conditions of funding
Successful applicants will be required to:
- Only use the funds for the purpose/s indicated in the application.
- Nominate two (2) persons who will guarantee the repayment of the loan in full if the organisation fails to meet any or all, of the repayments when due.
- Enter into a written agreement with the Shire.
- The duration of the repayment of the loan is not to exceed a repayment period of more than five (5) years.
- The community organisation will be required to complete a Direct Debit Authorisation Form for the Shire to process loan repayments on the date due as per the loan schedule.
- Shire funding to be acknowledged across a number of channels such as social media, media releases, radio advertising etc including logo placement on websites and signage where appropriate.
How to apply
Complete the application form below.
The application form can be provided in hard copy if required.
You can submit the application form:
- By email to [email protected]
- By post to Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Augusta Margaret River, PO Box 61, Margaret River WA 6285
Electronic copies are preferred, although hard copy applications will be accepted.
Processing of application
Applications for an Interest Free Loan will be reviewed in line with the guidelines and assessment criteria outlined above. The review is undertaken by an Interest Free Loan Assessment Team comprising of the Manager Sport and Community Recreation, Manager Corporate Performance and Executive Assistant to the CEO.
A report will be submitted to an Ordinary Council Meeting for Council’s consideration.
After the Ordinary Council Meeting has been held, we will notify you in writing of Council’s decision.
Where Council has supported the application for Interest Free Loan funding, we will inform you of the processes required to complete the documentation by way of written agreement with the Shire.
The Shire will also provide documentation for the loan repayments as per the schedule of repayments.