Demolition works on the Margaret River Recreation Centre will continue into the new year as contractors continue dismantling the much-loved community facility as part of the major 12-month refurbishment project.
Unfortunately, further deterioration of the pool shell has been identified as the demolition has progressed. It was not possible to determine these internal structure issues at the initial project development stage due to the nature of the concealed damage.
The Shire is working closely with contractors, BYTE Construct, and consultants to determine the best way to address the issues uncovered. The Rec Centre Refurb’s project contingency budget covers the additional costs projected for new works required, and the management team is confident that project will stay on track as significant works continue.
When the centre reopens the Shire will be able to offer a number of new improvements for centre users to enjoy, including:
- New simplified skillion roof
- New café space with outdoor play area and timber-look deck
- Refurbished changerooms, new toilets, seating spaces and public art
- Key additional accessibility improvements, including new accessible ramps
- Environmentally sensitive, low maintenance and durable design
Stay up to date with project developments via the Rec Centre Refurb YourSay page.