Community consultation for the Shire of Augusta Margaret River review of wards and representation is now open.
The public are invited to provide feedback on the number of elected members within the Shire and if wards should be introduced, including options for potential boundaries.
At present, there are no wards in the Shire and seven Councillors are elected from any part of the Shire to sit on Council. This review aims to seek community input when considering whether wards should be introduced across the Shire. The discussion paper provided includes a range of options for potential ward boundaries which community members are invited to review as part of the consultation process. Shire residents are also invited to provide feedback on the number of elected members within their local government area as part of the review.
Factors such as communities of interest, physical and topographical features, demographic trends, economic factors and the ratio of councillors to electors in the various ward options are all key characteristics explored in the discussion paper.
The discussion paper detailing the criteria that apply when considering wards and representation can be downloaded from yoursay.amrshire.wa.gov.au/councillor-ward-review or obtained during opening hours from the Shire offices.
Public meetings to discuss wards and representation will be held on the following dates:
- Tuesday 23 August 2022 at 5pm at the Council Chambers, 66 Allnut Terrace, Augusta
- Wednesday 24 August 2022 at 5pm at the Council Chambers, 41 Wallcliffe Road, Margaret River
Submissions must be received by the Shire by Wednesday 28 September 2022 at 12pm and can be made:
- Online via the Shire’s Your Say website yoursay.amrshire.wa.gov.au/councillor-ward-review
- By mail to the CEO, Shire of Augusta Margaret River, PO Box 61 Margaret River WA 6285
- By delivery to the Shire offices at 66 Allnut Terrace, Augusta or 41 Wallcliffe Road, Margaret River