Do I need Planning Approval?
In most circumstances, an ancillary dwelling is exempt from Planning Approval where it complies with the relevant development standards.
The relevant Deemed to Comply standards of the R-Codes comprise:
- The lot is not to be less than 350m² in area
- There is a maximum plot ratio area of 70m²
- One dedicated parking bay in addition to parking for dwelling is to be provided in accordance with clause 5.3.3 C3.1
- Development is required to comply with all other R-Code provisions and schemes such as height, setbacks etc.
- The ancillary dwelling is to be designed to be compatible with the colour, roof pitch and materials of the single house on the same lot.
Anything outside of the above may require Planning Approval.
For more information refer to Tables 1, 2a and 2b (pages 53 and 54) and Part 5.5: Special Purpose Dwellings (page 42) of the Residential Design Codes (R-codes).