The Prohibited Burning Period for the Shire has been extended further and will now apply until midnight, Tuesday 14 May 2024. No fires can be lit in the open air. More information here.


“Ancillary Dwelling” (or Granny Flat) refers to the development of ancillary self-contained accommodation on the same lot as a single house. 

The Residential Design Codes (State Planning Policy 3.1 – Residential Design Codes) and the Local Planning Scheme No. 1 define an “Ancillary Dwelling” as a “…self-contained dwelling on the same lot as a single house which may be attached to, integrated with or detached from the single house.” 

Do I need Planning Approval? 

In most circumstances, an ancillary dwelling is exempt from Planning Approval where it complies with the relevant development standards. 

The relevant Deemed to Comply standards of the R-Codes comprise: 

  • The lot is not to be less than 350m² in area
  • There is a maximum plot ratio area of 70m²
  • One dedicated parking bay in addition to parking for dwelling is to be provided in accordance with clause 5.3.3 C3.1
  • Development is required to comply with all other R-Code provisions and schemes such as height, setbacks etc. 
  • The ancillary dwelling is to be designed to be compatible with the colour, roof pitch and materials of the single house on the same lot.

Anything outside of the above may require Planning Approval. 

For more information refer to Tables 1, 2a and 2b (pages 53 and 54) and Part 5.5: Special Purpose Dwellings (page 42) of the Residential Design Codes (R-codes).

How to apply for Planning Approval

You will need to complete the form below, which includes a checklist to assist you in ensuring that all the required documentation is submitted with your application.

Other permits and approvals that may be required

You may require a Building Permit and/or approval from the Shire’s Environmental Health Department. 

We recommend you call the Shire in the first instance, for advice on what approvals and permits you may require.

How to apply for a Building Permit

The following must be submitted with your application:

  • Completed building permit application form (see below)

  • Owner Builder Approval from the Building Services Board (if applicable)

  • Registered Builder details (if applicable)

  • Fee payable

  • Additional information if required.

Application forms, check sheets, fees and advise on processing times are provided in the Building Permit Application page.

Share this page

Back to Top of the page