Responsibility for roads and footpaths

The Shire is responsible for local roads and footpaths, as defined in the Local Government Act 1995.

Main Roads has responsibility for the State's road network, as set out in the Main Roads Act 1930 and the Road Traffic Act 1974 (including the Road Traffic Code 2000).

The Shire is responsible for wayfinding, parking, street name, community facility directional signage and reserve signage.

Report an issue

The Shire aims to build and maintain the best quality roads, streets, drainage system, paths and associated infrastructure within available resources. 

Please use the Report It/Request It form to report issues related to:

  • Street lights
  • Drainage 
  • Flooding
  • Roads potholes or surface issues
  • Footpaths or walkways
  • Signage issue.

If the matter is urgent, or for more information, please contact the Shire's Infrastructure Services Team on (08) 9780 5255 or email [email protected]

Note: For issues with the State's road network or regulatory signs e.g. stop, give way etc. (all signs with a yellow pole) please report directly to Main Roads.

Riding on footpaths

All-age cycling on footpaths is legal in Western Australia. Anyone can cycle on a footpath, but there are some conditions. Visit the Department of Transport website for more information.

Share this page

Back to Top of the page