The Shire of Augusta Margaret River provides a recycling and FOGO bin in addition to the general waste bin. It’s crucial to understand what should (and shouldn’t!) go into these three bins to help the Shire protect the environment, recycle resources, and minimise landfill.
Your recycling bin (yellow lid)
The items in your recycling bin are sorted, baled and sold so they can be turned into new products.
Your efforts help recycle valuable resources.
The five recyclable items
- Plastic bottles and containers (lids removed)
- Glass bottles and jars (lids removed)
- Cans (steel and aluminium)
- Paper (clean only)
Nothing else can go in the yellow lid bin.
Easy recycling rules
- Only the 5 (listed above)
- Loose in the bin
- Lids off
- No plastic bags.
What must not go in your recycling bin
It is vital you do not place the following in your recycling bin:
- Soft plastic bags or packaging
- E-waste or hazardous waste
- Textiles, e.g. clothing, strapping or rope
- Dirty items.
Find out how to dispose of e-waste and household hazardous waste.
Advice about the disposal of soft plastics and other recyclables is provided on our Waste and Recycling Facilities page.
Your FOGO bin (Food Organics, Garden Organics) (lime green lid)
Excess garden waste up to 2m³ can be taken to the Davis Road Recycling and Waste Management Facility for free. Visit the Waste and Recycling Facilities page to find out more.
What can go in your FOGO bin
- Pet poo
- Garden waste, including small branches
- All food waste, including meat, fish, bones and eggshells
- Used paper products including paper towels, tissues, shredded paper, wet or dirty paper and cardboard, e.g. pizza boxes)
- Compostable liners and compostable packaging only, look for AS 4736 or AS 5819 symbol.
What must not go in your FOGO bin
The following must not be placed in your FOGO bin, as these items contaminate the compost:
- Glass or plastic
- Biodegradable or degradable products
- Food stickers
- Rocks or soil
- Building materials or treated timber
- Plastic bags or food packaging (100% compostable bags and packaging only)*
*Look for these symbols:
General waste/landfill bin (red lid)
Items put in this bin will be sent to landfill.
The general waste bin should only be used for items that can’t be recycled, composted or taken to a drop off point.
Remember, landfill is the last resort!
What can go in your general waste bin
- Plastic items such as straws, broken toys, cutlery, toothbrushes and cotton buds
- Nappies and sanitary items
- Non-compostable coffee cups
- Polystyrene and Tetra Paks
- Long-life milk cartons
- Damaged clothing and textiles
- Soft plastics.
What must not be placed in your general waste bin
The following items must not be placed in your general waste bin:
- Light globes
- E-waste (electronic waste)
- Household hazardous material, e.g. aerosols, chemicals, paint and flammable items.
Find out how to dispose of e-waste and Household Hazardous Waste.
Bin collection days
To find your bin collection day and learn how to position your bin(s) on the kerbside, please go to Bin Collections.