Find out what you can put in your lime green bin, information on compostable caddy liners and where your green waste ends up.

What can I put in my FOGO bin?

Your Food Organic and Garden Organics (FOGO) bin with the lime green lid can be used for your food waste including leftovers, peelings, cooked and raw meat, bones, shells, bread, seafood and dairy products, as well as paper products like tissues, napkins, shredded paper, soiled newspaper and soiled pizza boxes.

For a printable copy click here.

For the list of what can go in your FOGO bin please refer to the A-Z Guide to Using Your Bins.

Compostable Caddy Liners

Shire of Augusta Margaret River residents with the 3 bin service can collect 1 x roll compostable caddy liners from the Shire Offices by presenting a voucher from the back of thei Waste and Recycling Guide. *Subject to availability

Compostable liners can also be purchased, or food waste can be wrapped in newspaper or placed loose into your caddy or FOGO bin. Please do not use plastic bags or ‘biodegradable’ bags as these will contaminate your FOGO bin.

When we work together to ensure the right waste goes in the right bin we can all help reduce our household’s contribution to landfill and create high quality, clean compost.

Where does my FOGO go?

Waste from FOGO bins in the Shire of Augusta Margaret River end up at the Bunbury Harvey Regional Council’s Organics Processing Facility.  Check out this video below which shows how your FOGO waste is transformed into nutrient rich compost ready for use. To find out more about the Banksia Road Organic Processing Facility please click here

Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Tues, Wed, Thurs
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.