Recycling Bin

Discover what goes in your yellow top bin and how your recycled waste is given a second life. 

What can I put in my recycling bin?

The yellow lid recycling bin is for your recyclable items which will be sorted and reprocessed into recycled products. These items must be loose (not bagged) and must be clean and empty. Your recycling bin can be used for bottles and containers (with lids removed), clean paper and cardboard, milk and juice cartons, magazines, newspapers, egg cartons, cereal boxes, clean aluminium and steel food, drink and pet food cans as well as clean glass (including broken glass).


For a printable version click here.

For the list of what can go in your recycling bin please refer to the A-Z Guide to Using Your Bins.

Drop Off Points for Other Waste

Find out about where to take eWaste, the REDcycle program for soft plastics and how to make money through Containers for Change please click here.

What happens to my recycling?

The Shire's recycling is collected by Cleanaway. They are contracted to collect the contents of our recycling bins and transport them to a materials recovery facility or MRF where the materials are sorted into differnt categories for recovery. Once sorted the products are sold to recycling companies who turn them into new products. 

Find out more about Cleanaway Materials Recovery Facility.

The video below which shows how putting the right things in your recycling bin is just the start of a whole new life for your recyclable materials.



Community Newsletter

Subscribe to receive Notices and Tenders, Jobs Ads, Media Releases, or the Shire’s E-newsletter

Back to top ↑

Contact the Shire

Postal Address

PO Box 61
Margaret River WA 6285

Margaret River

41 Wallcliffe Road
Monday to Friday
Ph 08 9780 5255
Fax 08 9757 2512


66 Allnut Terrace
Tues, Wed, Thurs
9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm
Ph 08 9780 5255


For contact details for fire, police, bushfire brigades, hospitals, storm damage, power outages, etc please see the emergency contact page

National Relay Service

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment call us through the National Relay Service

Change of details form

To ensure that you receive your Rates Notice on time we need to be updated on changes. You can do this online.