Find out about the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act and how to make an FOI request to the Shire.
About Freedom of Information (FOI)
The Western Australian Freedom of Information Act 1992 (the FOI Act) gives you the right to request access to government-held information. This includes information they hold about you or about government policies and decisions.
Under the FOI Act, agencies and local governments are required to assist the public with access to documents at the lowest reasonable cost and to ensure that personal information held is accurate, complete, up to date and not misleading.
Your right to apply is not affected by any reasons you have for wishing to obtain access or the agency’s belief as to what your reasons are for applying.
The Shire’s Information Statement
The Shire maintains comprehensive records of all its dealings, including correspondence, memorandum, file notes, reports, plans, sketches, maps, diagrams, and documents pertaining to the keeping of records, applications, approvals and notices.
Availability of information is subject to the provisions established in the FOI Act and the Local Government Act 1995 and may be free or subject to a fee.
Detailed information is provided in the Shire’s Information statement below, including:
- Shire structure and functions
- Decision making at the Shire
- Public participation
- Documents held by the Shire
- How to make an FOI application
- Processing of FOI applications
- Fees and charges (if applicable)
- Review and appeal process.
Documents available on this website
You can access the following documents on this website:
How to make an FOI application
FOI access applications must:
- Be submitted in writing (see form below)
- Give enough information so that the document(s) requested can be identified
- Give an Australian postal address to which notices can be sent
- Be lodged at the Shire with the application fee payable (refer to the Shire’s FOI Statement above for fees).
Applications lodged on behalf of another person require written authorisation from the person who is to accompany the application.
Lodging the application
Applications may be lodged:
- In-person at the Shire’s administration offices located at 41 Wallcliffe Rd Margaret River and 66 Allnut Terrace Augusta
- By mail to PO Box 61 Margaret River WA 6285
- By email to [email protected]
What happens after an application is submitted?
Applications will be acknowledged in writing, and the applicant will be notified of the decision within 45 calendar days. The 45 calendar day response period can only be suspended to inform the applicant if a charge is required.
Please refer to the Shire’s Information Statement above for information on your right to appeal a decision made by the Shire.
More information and contact
For assistance with lodging a FOI application, please call the Shire on (08) 9780 5255 or email [email protected]
For general information about the FOI process, visit the Office of the Information Commissioner website.