Dams and soaks
Dams and soaks can provide a valuable supply of water especially during dry months when rainfall is low.
Approval to construct or expand a dam
If you wish to build a new dam or soak or expand existing ones, you need to know about planning approvals and licences required to construct, expand or clean them out. Find out about approvals to construct or expand a dam or soak.
Convert your dam into a natural wetland
Farm dams provide a fantastic opportunity to recreate habitats that were once provided by natural wetlands.
- Reduced erosion and associated management and repairs
- Improved water quality through nutrient stripping and shading
- Oxygenation of water and sediments
- Creation of habitat
- Natural pest control (can host pest predators).
- Adds to property value by improving visual amenity and creating a feature.
Contact Nature Conservation Margaret River for advice on how to turn your dam into a natural wetland.