The Prohibited Burning Period for the Shire has been extended further and will now apply until midnight, Tuesday 14 May 2024. No fires can be lit in the open air. More information here.

Definition of an outbuilding 

An outbuilding is defined by the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) as “an enclosed non-habitable structure that is detached from any dwelling.”

Outbuildings are also known as sheds, barns and workshops, with varying design, size and construction materials. They may be pre-constructed, transported to and then placed on land, and are capable of being adapted for various uses.

An outbuilding is considered as a Class 10a building under the Building Codes of Australia.

Do you need Planning Approval?

Planning Approval ensures that the development of a property within the Shire complies with the Local Planning Scheme, Residential Design Codes and other relevant legislation and policies.

Planning Approval may be required when a proposed outbuilding does not comply with specific criteria in the Residential Design Codes. For example, if the proposed shed/outbuilding:

  • Will be a ‘habitable room’
  • Is located within a Bushfire Prone Area
  • Is located within a Heritage Area
  • Is affected by floodway and/or flood fringe.

Important notes:

  • Before proceeding, it is recommended you contact the Shire’s Planning Team to check if your shed or outbuilding requires Planning Approval
  • Planning Approval may be required for the proposed outbuilding/s even if a Building Permit is not required
  • If the proposed structure requires Planning Approval, you must obtain this prior to lodging an application for a Building Permit.

How to apply

Refer to Apply for Planning Approval

Do you need a Building Permit?

A Building Permit ensures that the proposed building work complies with the Building Codes of Australia and other relevant standards and legislation.

Under the Building Regulations 2012, a Building Permit is not required for a shed that is freestanding and has a floor area not exceeding 10m² and a height less than 2.4m.  You will require a Building Permit if the shed or outbuilding exceeds this floor area or height.

How to apply

Refer to Building Permit Application

Share this page

Back to Top of the page