Find out if you need a Permit to Burn, how to obtain one and what you need to do prior to your planned burn.

When do you need a Permit to Burn?

A Permit to Burn is required during the Restricted Burning Periods (Spring/Summer or Autumn). 

Before lighting any fire in the open air during the Restricted Burning Period, you must obtain a Permit to Burn which can be obtained by contacting your local Fire Control Officer.

There are some exceptions for very small burns of garden refuse (less than one cubic metre during the Spring/Summer Restricted Burning Period), campfires, firepits, solid fuel BBQs and pizza ovens, which are dependent on the current Fire Danger Rating. 

For more information, please visit the following pages:

Important notes

  • Burning is not allowed during the Prohibited Burning Period.

  • The dates of the Restricted Burning Periods can change at short notice due to variable weather conditions. Please check this website and our social media for updates, and always call your local Fire Control Officer (FCO) or the Shire Rangers to check the status before lighting any fire.

Apply for a Permit to Burn

Applying for a Permit to Burn is a straightforward process and there is no fee

Step 1: Gather necessary information

Before applying, ensure you have the following details ready:

  • Size of burn: Estimate of the dimensions of the area you intend to burn
  • Materials to burn: What materials you plan to burn
  • Burn location: The address where the burn will take place
  • Permit holder's details: Name and contact number of the person responsible for the burn.

Step 2: Contact your local Fire Control Officer (FCO)

Contact your local Fire Control Officer to request a Permit to Burn. If the Fire Control Officer is unavailable, the Chief Bush Fire Control Officer or the Shire’s Rangers can also issue a Permit. View Fire Control Officer Contact List

Step 3: Wait for assessment and issue of Permit

It can take up to 72 hours for a Fire Control Officer to visit your property (if necessary) and assess your application.

Once your application has been assessed and approved, you will receive your Permit to Burn. Make sure to comply with all guidelines and restrictions indicated in your Permit. For information on what to do prior to burning, refer to the next section.

Preparing for your burn

24 hours before your planned burn

You must notify your adjoining landowners 24 hours in advance of your intention to burn.

Prior to lighting your planned burn

Prior to lighting your planned burn, you must register your Permit to Burn with:

  • Shire of Augusta Margaret River
  • Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA); and 
  • Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). 

To register your Permit, call the numbers provided on the Permit itself. Keep your Permit close by during the call, as the operator will ask for specific details from it.

In case an operator is unavailable and you have to leave a voicemail, remember to clearly state the following:

  • Permit number: The unique identifier on your Permit
  • Property details: Information about the location intended for burning
  • Permit holder's name: The name of the individual responsible for the burn
  • Phone number: A contact number for further communication
  • Time/date and duration of intended burn: When you plan to conduct the burn and when it will be finished.

To ensure a safe burn, please refer to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services website for advice on safe burning (before, during and after a burn).

Penalties for non-compliance

Failure to do any of the following may result in a modified penalty of $250, and up to $4,500 for a first offence, and up to $10,000 for a second or subsequent offence, should legal action be undertaken:

  • Obtain a Permit to Burn
  • Comply with all Permit conditions
  • Burn without a Permit
  • Burn in contravention to any information provided in the Bush Fires Act 1954.

Share this page

Back to Top of the page